Thursday, April 1, 2010

Love & Loss (Part 1)

Every feel like you've been walking around in a daze? Feels like that for me today. Sometimes it takes horrible news to awaken you. Is that for the best? How can it be? Yes, I received terrible shocking news, the kind that just makes you want to cry. But how can I even begin to explain it?

Back in school, many many years ago. My classmates called me Erick. Don't ask, it was a weird situation. But to explain whats going on in my life I almost have to start at the beginning. I mean the VERY beginning. That's where I first met Jenni. The girl I would later love, and love to hate. I told you, it's kind of complicated.

Jenni and I went to kindergarten together. She introduced herself to me by smacking me in the head with a toy fire-engine. I don't really recall why she did it. Knowing how lippy I was back then, I probably said something that offended her. I learned quickly it didn't take much to offend her.

If Jenni could find a way to annoy me, she would. I'd insist she called me by my given name and she'd insist on calling me Erick along with everyone else. Knowing how much that annoyed me. Every Friday, the teacher would reward one student by letting them bring in one song to play during nap-time. Jenni would bring in Gordon Lightfoot - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Knowing how much I hated that song.

Even now it's hard for me to listen to this song. Kind of makes me want to cry because of the topic of the song, and the emotion that's attached to it for me.

Part 2 of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment