Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Love & Loss (Part 13)

As soon as I was finished eating I decided I couldn't wait any longer. I found a pay phone and rang up her room one more time, this time Vicki answered. I told her what I had done and where I was. At first she seemed shocked, but I guess I can't blame her. She told me to stop by. No sooner had she finished the words, I was in another taxi heading towards her dorm room.

The taxi was a good 20 minutes away from her dorm room but I was so hyped it seemed like seconds. As I walked into the dormitory I expected a reception area or check in desk. As far as I could tell there were none, just a plaque on a wall listing several rules. The first rule stated no visitors after 9pm. I didn't bother to read the rest, I just continued on my way. I walked up the stairs to the second floor when someone suddenly called out to me. "Can I help you?"

Standing before me was a girl, the floor Captain I was guessing. Hesitantly, nervously, not knowing what to expect, I told her I was there to see Vicki. Not that I was afraid of her or anything. I think I was a bit more embarrassed than anything. I sheepishly told her I was Vicki's boyfriend who decided to stop in and visit. Her next words cut me so deeply, "You must be Terry. I've heard a lot about you."

I've been called many things in my life but Terry was not one of them. My shock must have shown on my face because her demeanor suddenly changed and she pointed me in the right direction. I knocked on her door, hoping beyond hope what I feared was not accurate. I tried to recall if Vicki had any family named Terry. But no, I said I was her boyfriend, not her cousin.

Suddenly I felt sick. In the short walk to her dorm room I tried to imagine how I might have gotten this wrong. How this was some big mistake. I rapped on her door gently, as if I didn't want her to hear me. But she knew I was on my way. I knocked two more times harder. Vicki opened the door and threw her arms around me. She kissed me gently on the cheek and told me what a surprise it was to see me and how thoughtful I was to stop by.

Part 14 of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment