Thursday, April 15, 2010

Love & Loss (Part 15)

The taxi was a good 20 minutes away from her dorm room but I was so sad and depressed it seemed like hours. I felt so foolish for leaving so suddenly but what was there really to talk about? If she wanted to spend her time with Terry, I was going to give her the opportunity. If she wanted me, she'd come to me. Either way, I would know before the plane left Washington if she was going to be part of my life.

My flight didn't leave till the afternoon, the next day. Normally I would take the opportunity to explore the city, that day was an exception. I wanted nothing to do with Walla Walla and was certain if I left, I'd never be back. Dinner consisted of a bland room service chicken dish. Each passing hour I hoped the phone would ring, with Vicki giving me something to hope for. As each hour passed without her calling, it dug deeper into my heart.

I ate a mediocre room service meal for dinner and laid on the bed hoping the phone would ring. I reached for the phone twice, each time setting it back down before dialing a single digit. For hours I laid there, thinking of Vicki. I really don't know how long it was before I drifted off to sleep. I dreamed of her, holding me in her arms once more. Suddenly there was a sharp pain in my back and she began laughing.

I released my grip on Vicki and turned around to see some guy standing there. He had thrown a knife at me and was holding another. Vicki encouraged him on and he threw another at me. Just before it struck, I awoke with a start, still dressed but sweaty. It was past midnight and the phone hadn't rung all night. I realized then, Vicki and I were over. And yet, this was not the last time she left my life.

I barely slept the rest of the night. I tossed and turned for a while till I decided to turn the radio on in hopes it would get my mind off of Vicki, it didn't. First song playing was 'I Know There's Something Going On' by Frida, followed by 'Take It On the Run' by REO Speedwagon. I wasn't going to wait for the next song, I turned the station to a classical music format and slowly drifted off to sleep.

Part 16 of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment