Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Love & Loss (Part 27)

I tried hard as I could to put my past behind me. Trying to better myself meant to stop thinking of the problems I had with Jenni and Vicki. The two girls who I loved and both broke my heart. I hadn't heard from either of them in so long, I didn't expect to hear from either of them ever again. But one day last week I received a call, the caller ID didn't identify the person. It just claimed they were from Washington.

Yes, it has now been 5 years sine I woke up. To tell the truth, I have moved on so much that when I saw the call from Washington I ignored it. I didn't recognize the number and anyone I knew from Washington I had no interest in talking with. Then I received a call the very next day. I still refused to answer. There was one last call and this time she left a message for me.

It was from Vicki. She told me if I ever had any love for her in the past, I would call her. She didn't say why, but she said it was urgent she speak with me. I wasn't sure if she was trying to play on my 'compassion' button as Jenni was prone to do in the past, but when I knew her, Vicki never did. To be honest, I had several questions for Vicki and really wanted some answers. I relented and finally picked up the phone to call.

It was the hardest phone call I ever had to make. I listened intently to what she had to say. I told myself I was not going to take any 'guff' from her and really give her a piece of my mind. I never did get that far, I allowed her to speak her mind first. I've been told at times, that perhaps I'm 'too nice' of a person. After she spoke, the conversation was essentially done. All I told her was that yes, I would book a flight to Washington and come visit her.

As soon as I got off the phone with Vicki I called and booked a flight to Washington the very next day. Yes, despite me saying I would never again visit Walla Walla, here I was 20 years later, returning. It was then nostalgia hit me. I opened a box I had with several mementos of days gone by, one of which was Jenni's diary. I decided to take an assortment of items along with me for the flight to Washington.

Part 28 of 30

No comments:

Post a Comment