Sunday, April 28, 2013

Cooking Vegetables

R.a.n.t. of week of 04/28/13
Brussels Sprout, Spinach, Cabbage,
Corn, Carrot, Cauliflower,
Broccoli, Cucumber, Summer Squash

Just a few of the 'vegetables' I really enjoy.

Most of these are put on the side of whatever one is making:
Pork, Steak, Fish - along with a side:
Rice, Noodle, Potato

I think this would hardly classify me as being a picky eater.
And yet, I'm forever known as a picky eater. Why?

Everyone has a few foods they hate for various reasons. I'm not talking about hating peanuts because of an allergy, or wheat. I mean foods that are disgusting. The list of vegetables above are foods I've noticed many people claim they hate. Number one on the list seems being brussels sprouts. But I love them! So why are the people who hate those foods not picky eaters, but I am? Mostly because the foods I happen to hate are what I like to call 'cooking vegetables'. Mushrooms, whole tomatoes, peppers, onions, onions and ONIONS.I find these foods disgusting, and yet it seems everyone loves to put these items in everything. Potatoes, rice, peas, noodles, casseroles, pizza, the list goes on. One of these days I swear I'm going to find Onion Cereal in the store..

What I've found though, it's not so much the taste of these foods, it's more the texture. Mushy mushrooms, pitiful peppers and terrible tomatoes do not enhance a dish for me. I don't always mind the flavour, but the texture annoying. Except onions. I hate onions in almost any form. I have been known to eat a few onion rings in my time. But mostly because the thing is so breaded and the fryer has pretty much dissolved the onion beyond recognition. But as a rule I don't eat these rings of O, even after a few I begin to notice the disgusting flavour shine through.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful plants. I like to... Hope you can like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of us cook mushrooms without making them "mushy"...
    Maybe you just need to meet a better class of chef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. I guess I'll never know. Going to be difficult to get me to eat fungus a second time.

      Delete