Sunday, April 14, 2013

Teaser Stories

R.a.n.t. of week 04/14/13
There are several reasons I hate teaser stories. One really interesting reason I'll relate in a bit, it's actually a funny story about something stupid I've done to ensure I didn't miss the teaser story when it finally aired. But first a little description of what I mean (for those unaware of what I'm talking about). A teaser story is something usually done on the radio by DJ's or in TV programs (usually news or reality shows). At the top of the hour, or at the beginning of a segment, an interesting story is brought up, but only quick, brief details. The majority of the story will be told at a later time, usually (coming up).

What's funny is, 'coming up' is never really determined. Unlike the humorous story I have to tell, which is also coming up, you are never really sure how long you may have to wait to hear it. It gets frustrating because I'm always on the go and hate missing a story after I'm engrossed in hearing about it. I find myself lingering about more than usual if I happen to be in a store, or inside my car about ready to walk into work. But isn't that what the teaser is supposed to do? Make you want to stick around instead of switching channels?

That laughable story I have to tell is certainly coming up, but there was one last point I wanted to bring up. There have been a few times I've actually forgotten all about the teaser story until a few hours later. Suddenly I'm drinking coffee at work and it hits me. "D'oh! I wanted to hear that story." What happened? What was it about? Why did I forget about it? Now I'm annoyed, not only because I missed the story, but I had forgotten about it.

I hate when I forget to do things. Even now I feel there was something else I wanted to write about. Oh well, I'm sure it'll hit me an hour from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment