Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Battle of the (Wilson) Band Results - Doctor My Eyes

It's been awhile since I've had a decent music battle, so I was overjoyed when I realized I had a real battle taking place this time. As you'll see, the votes went back and forth.

But it didn't seem that way at first. At first I thought Wilson Phillips was going to run away with all the votes, but after the first round was finished, we had a 3-3 tie.
First Round Votes for Wilson Phillips: Debbie, Alex & Shady
First Round Votes for Gretchen Wilson: Arlee, eViL pOp TaRt &Guilie

The second round was much different. Wilson Phillips let Gretchen Wilson take charge. Gretchen won the second round 4-1
Second Round Votes for Wilson Phillips: diedre
Second Round Votes for Gretchen Wilson: Robin, Dixie, ReInVintagedGoods, Cathy

The tides turned in the third round though, and Wilson Phillips was back. Racking up double the votes Gretchen received. This nearly tied up the battle. The war waged on.
Third Round Votes for Wilson Phillips: Michele, Stephanie, mike, Chero
Third Round Votes for Gretchen Wilson: Chrys, Mary

Unfortunately, the battle tuckered one of the contestants out and they soon gave up the battle giving their rival the decisive win.
Fourth Round Votes for Wilson Phillips: John,
Fourth Round Votes for Gretchen Wilson: Stephen, Birgit, A Gal Needs, FAE


Winners Circle
With a final score of 9-13

Congratulations to Gretchen Wilson



Top Comments

Arlee Bird - Back in the 90's I went through a big Wilson Phillips fan phase. I figured I'd be going for their version before even listening. Then Gretchen started taking hold of me. I like the crisp punchy sound of Gretchen's version. The more I listened, the more I started liking her voice. Give my vote to Gretchen Phillips for this match.

Robin - Gretchen Wilson has a powerful voice that's grittier (and sometimes raw in a good way). So, I prefer her sound on this one, but they were both good.

Debbie D. - Gretchen Wilson's twang didn't sound pleasing to my ears, so my vote goes to the harmonies of Wilson Phillips.

ReInVintagedGoods - Wilson gets my vote!

Chrys Fey - I'm voting for Gretchen Wilson. I like the piano, the beat, her voice. Win, win, win. I do like the band Wilson Philips, though.

diedre Knight - Well, Mr. Wilson I do believe Dr. Welby is the only one to Doctor My Eyes ;-) I hate to castaway the country gal, but Wilson Phillips gets my vote!

Stephanie Faris - Not a fan of country music (despite living in Nashville!). I'm going to go with Wilson Phillips. It wasn't cool to say so in the 90s, but I've always found their voices so ear-pleasing!

Mary Burris - Well. I am surprised at myself. I honestly thought I would be giving my vote to Wilson Phillips, as I have always enjoyed them. But Gretchen Wilson knocked it out of the park for me.

Stephen T. McCarthy - Hokey-Smoke, JEFFY, this was a good one, Brother! I liked both recordings but my vote is a total slam dunk. In fact, this one seemed so obvious to me that I'm rather shocked you have a close contest here. To my ears, this has "shutout" written all over it. GRETCHEN WILSON gets my vote. And, sheesh! Who the hell is playing that piano? Is that her? What a fabulous rolling keyboard sound - it knocks me out! The guitar work is absolutely first-rate, too.

mike spain - My vote is for Wilson Phillips, both versions were a bit pop however I liked the harmonies on Wilson Phillips.

A GAL NEEDS - That's a tough one! One would be a great party song because it would blend right into the background smoothly and enhance the mood--namely Wilson Phillips. Gretchen's would be more of an acoustic performance, where one actually pays attention to the vocals, instrumentals, and harmonies! My vote goes to Gretchen for that reason.

farawayeyes - SURPRISE! SURPRISE! I liked Gretchen Wilson better than Wilson Phillips. I don't care for much of her other stuff ('Red Neck Woman'-an absolute disgrace to the female kind), but this one was rockin'. Give Gretchen my vote.

John Holton -Gretchen Wilson sounded like they stripped the vocal track out of Jackson Browne's version and substituted her voice.


Once again, thanks to everyone who stopped by and placed a vote.
Come back again for a new battle April 1st
Who will you vote for?
What song will I choose?
Which artists will battle it out?
Stay tuned.


Don't forget to visit the other participants in the Battle of the Band to see who won their battles.

FAR AWAY SERIES
STMcC PRESENTS 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'
TOSSING IT OUT
JANIE JUNEBUG RIGHTING AND EDITING
YOUR DAILY DOSE
MIKE'S RAMBLINGS
CURIOUS AS A CATHY
DCRELIEF - BATTLE OF THE BANDS
THE DOGLADY'S DEN
CHERDO ON THE FLIPSIDE
ANGELS BARK
QUIET LAUGHTER
BE_REINVINTAGED
THE SOUND OF ONE HAND TYPING
JINGLE JANGLE JUNGLE
eViL pOp TaRt
HOLLI'S HOOTS AND HOLLERS


Are you currently in the BOTB and don't see your name in the list above? Let me know in comments and I'll include it.

22 comments:

  1. You got a guht one here, JEFFY! Still need to check out more Gretchen. That's an unfortunate name, but I sure liked her version of 'Doctor My Eyes'.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked the name Gretchen. Maybe it's just the German in me.

      Delete
    2. I have a former co-worker/friend named Gretchen. She's an old lady. Wait. I'm an old lady now, too. Damn. Scratch that comment. Let's start again.

      I have a former friend/co-worker named Gretchen. It's not a common name, but it suits her perfect.

      Mary @ Jingle Jangle Jungle

      Delete
    3. I have a friend named Gretchen. She's younger than I am. So, who knows?

      Delete
  2. Jeffrey, congrats on a fabulous battle performance! I voted for Gretchen. I had no idea how this would go, but am happy to see my pick won. Thanks for the introduction to a new talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always enjoyable to find new music. I think.

      Delete
  3. YAY! another winning selection for me! I feel like I'm on a winning streak. Queue up Cat Stevens "The Streak" Lookitdat, Lookitdat! Don't look Ethel! But it was too late!
    Sorry. I'm in rare form today.

    Mary @ Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember that song. LOL
      For me, I either have a week where almost all my picks are winners, or I'm completely in the minority for all the battles. Funny how that works.

      Delete
  4. That sure was a tight battle! Lost another one. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jeffrey!

    Good job with this one. Did you cast a vote or did you sit this one out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't cast my vote but I was leaning towards Wilson Phillips.

      Delete
  6. What a race! Nice job picking contenders for this one. My girl won, but I sure like Wilson Phillips so I would have been satisfied if they had won.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I didn't cast my vote this time. I liked both contestant versions.

      Delete
  7. I hate to tell you, Jeffrey, but this was the March 15th battle... and I got the right girl. Yee-haw! :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch, I don't know what I was thinking. Sometimes that happens when I write.

      Delete
  8. Aw, my pick didn't win. :( But that was sure a good battle!! Congrats.
    I really like the way you write up your results posts...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that comment. I do try to make the results post as entertaining as the actual battle post. Glad it's well received.

      Delete
  9. I love the name Gretchen! I have an awesome friend named Gretchen and she's in her 20's, making her young! Great battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the name Gretchen is actually making a come-back.

      Delete