Sunday, April 13, 2014

Have You Turned It Off And On Again?

R.a.n.t. of week 04/13/14
Remember back in the days when computers actually helped you accomplish tasks? Now all they do is sit there and cause problems. Either they are flooding my inbox with spam (more of an internet issue I know), or they are constantly needing 'updates'. How many updates does my computer need? It's always requesting an update for one program or another. Adobe, Itunes, Microsoft, Security Essentials, Firefox, the list could go on.

Lately I've also been having a problem with my computer running slow. No warning, just suddenly "Oh you want to do that? Okay, simple, easy. I just hope you don't mind waiting five minutes." The more advanced these computers seem to get, the slower they seem to become, despite the increase in memory or ram.
Moss: "HA! Memory IS R.A.M."

I refuse to call the IT department when I should be able to figure out simple computer problems myself. Speaking of IT departments, you ever wonder what IT actually stands for?
Jen: "What doesn't it stand for?"

Okay, so I CAN work through my own computer problems. But seriously, why so many problems lately? I'm fairly techno-saavy, but many of my friends are not. And these friends, for some reason, are always having weird and/or complex problems. Suddenly losing connection to the internet, music has vanished from their Itunes, sound suddenly becoming disabled, strange messages popping up or something else crazy all together. It can take a while, but eventually I get it sorted. Just wish there were not so many computer problems all the time. You'd think the Elders of the Internet would have a better handle on things. I have to admit though, when a friend calls and asks for help, the first thing I suggest is to turn the computer off and back on again. No really, you'd be surprised how often that actually fixes the problem.


IT Crowd
Jen: I have a lot of experience with the whole computer thing you know, emails, sending emails, receiving emails, deleting emails, the web. Using a mouse, mices, using mice. Clicking, double clicking. The computer screen, of course. The keyboard. The bit that goes on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment