Tuesday, May 11, 2010

London - Day 3


My first stop of the third day was not a place many American's were likely to be, Lord's Cricket Ground. With little to no exposure to cricket in America, it's understandable. Still, it's a part of the UK I wanted to see.



While we were given the tour, we had the opportunity to see a few players warming up.



A better view of the cricket pitch (playing field). Though I'm certainly not a cricket expert, I did pick up a few ideas on how to play and some of the terminology. After the tour we were welcome to stay and watch the game for as long as we wanted.



I made my way back to the Thames for another afternoon of viewing the sights. I believe this is part of the Canary Wharf centre. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, I thought this building was spectacular.



Though I never made my way over to this in person, I felt a photograph of the O2 Millennium Dome was a must. Maybe next time I can catch a show here.



This was the shopping centre of Canary Wharf. I'm not sure if that's the technical name for it, so again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.



One of my favourite pictures taken while in London. This is obviously the London Tower Bridge. Tours are also available here to learn a bit about the bridge, the construction and usage.



While taking the tour, I came across this sign. I got to wonder, imagine if this were the boasting in any of today's constructions.



Another fresh perspective of Tower Bridge. This time from beneath. You always see pictures from the top or the side, so I thought this was unique.



Can you get any more iconic than a photo of the Tower Bridge behind the City Hall building?



It was finally time for me to pay a visit to the London Eye. I promised myself a ride no matter what the cost was. Ultimately, I didn't feel it was too bad considering it was likely to be a one time thing.



The ride is nice and slow, giving anyone a chance to see almost all of London. You can hire out the cars for weddings and such. The joke is, the ceremony is performed on the way up. At the top you kiss, then it's all downhill from there.



Another picture of Big Ben, this time an aerial view. Only the London Eye would enable me to take such a picture.



Looking out towards the Thames river once more.



As I reached the top of the eye, I spotted this BBC New helicopter flying overhead. I decided to see how good a shot I could get. I'm actually happy with what I got.



Obviously, most of my shots in this segment are going to be aerial. This time it's the Aquarium. I never did find the time to pay a visit, though I can always visit the Shedd's Aquarium in Chicago if I ever get the urge to look at fish.



Do you see what I see?



Finally, the day was coming to a close. It began to rain and I caught this rainbow just as I was heading for the Underground and my way 'home' for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment