Wednesday, November 2, 2016

I Am Not God


First off, I apologize for being late again. I really do like contributing to the group here. The truth is, I tend to run out of time. Where has all my time gone lately? I'm continuing on my studies of a foreign language. A not so well known language from Myanmar (Burma). Additionally, I have finally decided it is time to lose weight. This means I've been walking a lot of 5K's after work. No, not every day, but currently 2 to 3 times a week. Then there is the house work and my regular job. So what am I trying to say? My writing, at times, gets pushed to the back burner. So then why do I continue to write?

Well, that brings me to the question of the month. Which is:
November Question – What is your favourite aspect of being a writer?

Even before I began writing, I was enamoured with writers. I was impressed with what they were able to produce. Contriving a story from something in their head only. In middle school, I had an English class where we were required to keep a weekly journal. Everyone complained, because we were given a situation, and expected to write about it. But to my surprise, it came easy to me. I was suddenly filling my weekly journal with stories. Eventually, I began to work on 'extra credit' writing because I enjoyed it so much.


But it wasn't so much that it came easy to me, I was having fun creating worlds that other people were reading about. The teacher (certainly corrected me a lot), but told me she loved the stories. When we had to pass around our journals for others to read, everyone else seemed to enjoy what I wrote also. I was doing something I was good at. I was doing something others enjoyed. But most important, I was doing something I had complete control over. I am essentially god of the worlds I created. No I don't have a power trip, but it is nice to know I can create whatever I want.

I have done a lot of fan-fiction. Mostly for Doctor Who, and mostly for other Sci.Fi.'s, but the point is. If there is a story I wish the show had produced, I simply decide to write it myself. Whether it's well received or not, is not my biggest thrill. It's that I am able to do it at all. I may not be god, but I do have complete control of the worlds I create.


Goals and such:
New Goal:

Work on being more punctual with my writing. I may not have actual deadlines, but I should work on keeping myself in line.


Old Goals:
Full year of posting:

I went AWOL for a couple of months back, and get deleted from the list for doing so. I aim to not let that happen again.
Writing Schedule:
Winter is the time of the year I seem to have more time for writing. I shall continue to work on a new writing schedule.




My Encouragement:
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me".
- Michael Scott


Questions to Ponder:

How much do you love the creating process of writing?


Have any of your characters disobeyed your wishes when you tried to direct them one way? But the character simply goes in another direction?


* * * * * * * * * *

The Insecure Writer's Support Group posts the first Wednesday of every month. Please follow along as my fellow writers and I relate why we feel insecure, or read as we help encourage others suffering from insecurity.

Are you an insecure writer? Why not join the group? Find out more information via the group HERE.

The site is founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh - Thanks for all the support!

30 comments:

  1. That's great you had encouragement early. I would've been nervous passing my journal off to anyone else.
    Keep walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I had done more with my writing earlier.

      Delete
  2. You're not late with this post. First Wednesday. You're right on time. :)

    Ha. I was also the kid who did extra credit writing. I couldn't help it. I loved writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm late in the sense I like to have them posted very early in the morning. Like around 1 or 2 am.
      Glad I wasn't the only writing nerd.
      True story though, my teacher had to teach me to be diverse. For a while all I wrote in my journal was Doctor Who fan-fiction. One of which involved the Titanic. One day I would love to bring that horrible piece of writing out and rework it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jeffrey - you have to be healthy in order to write long term ... so well done for getting on the walking bandwagon ...

    I never knew I could write til I started blogging .. mind you it has helped enormously ... cheers and good for you - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, when I walk, it clears the mind, which in turn helps me be more creative. Which improves my mental stability.

      Delete
  4. I wish I had had a teacher who had given us writing assignments like that. It sounds very inspiring. Good luck with your new goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was inspiring, it's what pushed me to be a writer.

      Delete
  5. You have an awesome attitude, Jeffrey. We could all learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's either develop an awesome attitude for me, or give up. I refuse to give up.

      Delete
  6. It's okay to take a break. At least you got back on this crazy train of a writer's life! Hope this month brings all the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, Winter is my best time to work on my writing.
      Yes, it is a crazy train for sure. They should write a song like that.

      Delete
  7. I love that quote by Michael Scott, it made me laugh.
    Just keep on going, one step at a time, one word at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Scott is awesome. And considering I'm a full time Office Manager, I look to him for my motivation. LOL
      Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  8. Writing about the worlds in your head is something beautiful. The same way it helps you, it helps others.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to think that what I write might actually help someone else.

      Delete
  9. I have no doubt your goals will be met, hold tight to your potential as if it were the wind that sails your ship of dreams. And shine a light when you get there, would ya? So more of us will find our way.
    Winter is an introspective time when even nature slows her pace so that new growth may take place. I think that's why creativity flourishes so much and I tend to stock up on writing supplies;-)
    "...afraid of how much they love me," Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall shine the light, when that time comes. I guess we all need a little guidance from time to time. I tend to forget that.
      Great thoughts about Winter. So very true.

      Delete
  10. I have a 5 mile loop I run once or twice a week. Last night I wanted to give my knees a break so I speed-walked the thing and got blisters. Oh, the irony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could run one, but being overweight, I'm limited to walking one for now. But perhaps next year. I've a strong determination, so I'm ready to go.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on the walking! I love to walk but here in the deep south, it gets too hot during the summer to walk except early in the morning (not going to get up that early) and late at night (rather be at the beach). Once it gets cooler, that's when I start walking again!

    In answer to your question to ponder: my characters ALWAYS deviate from my plan. I have summaries. I have outlines! They don't care! They go along for a while like good boys and girls and then off they run down a rabbit trail. But here's the catch: the story THEY want to tell is ALWAYS better than the one I want to tell. I've learned to trust my characters and they never, ever disappoint.

    Good luck with your goals!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the stories the characters lead us to, do tend to be more interesting. I love how that happens.
      Problem with living in the midwest, now it's starting to get colder, I will have to resort to walking in the gym. It can get very cold some Winters.

      Delete
  12. I posted late Wednesday night, so you're good!

    One thing I like about walking is that it allows me to ponder about a number of things, including my fiction writing.

    Sometimes I'd get to a part in my story and realize that what I'd planned for a character to do or say at a given time isn't what should be happening. I'm big with planning out my stories but sometimes I have to also let my intuition guide me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to listen to your gut, your intuition, your characters or whatever helps you best get your story down. That's how I look at it, anyway.

      Delete
  13. Keep creating those wonderful worlds/words and getting your writing life back on schedule!
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deadlines and discipline--both important to writing and weight loss! We feel SO good after a day of staying on track, but it can be so easy to get off track and feel discouraged. I need to work on being better disciplined myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is, after a bad day, we feel awful. Take this weekend for example. But, just get back on the horse. That's all we can do.

      Delete
  15. Hey Jeffrey, sorry I didn't get here sooner, but I too lack discipline and suffer from that 'oh, look a chicken' disease. I'm seriously trying to get better and set some time each week aside for myself and my writing. Why is it so hard, to do something you love so much? I'm thinking I read somewhere that you write YA, maybe I'm confused. That happens often. I' have a finished novel that I'm looking for some beta readers/CP partners for; are you interested in making a trade. I'll read something of yours and you read something of mine. I do find that critiquing someone else's work really helps me see flaws in my own. Well anyway, let me know. You can find my email address easily enough at my blog profile. If not leave me a message and I'll get it to you. Hope we can work something out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - Exactly. We love it, why is it so hard to schedule the time?
      Yes, I mentioned on a few comments that I write YA. I do think it's time I start working on beta trading. I will look for the email.

      Delete