Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Battle of the Bands - It Takes Two

For this instalment of Battle of the Bands, I have selected the song, 'It Takes Two' by Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston. As you may have guessed, I have opted out of utilizing their version. What I have done, however, could be a risky move. I have pitted two well know artists who have teamed up to sing the song together versus a lesser known British Pop star.

Unlike my past two battles, I think this song is rather upbeat and not so brooding. Win or lose, I hope you will like these two singing companions, Tina & Rod, it's a great song. But I also hope you enjoy the Bad Wolf (I mean Lone Wolf) version from Billie.

As for the secret theme, I have to be honest, I've been very naughty. Mostly, because I think the theme will not truly be guessed. It's a difficult one for sure, and to be honest, needs some detective work. So on to my clue for this battle. The secret theme relates do something in common with all three battles. One thing in particular.
1.) Could it be the actual song? Are all the song selections anagrams of each other?
2.) The performing artists? Have they all performed in the same venue on a Wednesday night?
3.) The Writers of the songs? Do the writers all share the same Dentist or Doctor? Who can figure it out?

It can be done. Thanks for playing along.

For reference only: Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston - It Takes Two

BATTLE OF THE BANDS
The two musical contenders for this Battle of the Bands are below.
Please listen to both and tell me who you like best.

Cover A - The British/American Duo:
Tina Turner & Rod Stewart


Cover B - English Pop Star:
Billie Piper


Those are the two contenders. Ignoring the actual videos, who do you think performs the song best? I collected the two bands to battle it out, now it's your job to vote on your favourite. Please list your preferred song choice in the comments. Additionally, let me know why you feel the way you do. Voting ends on the 8th when I'll cast my vote (if needed) and announce the winner in a separate posting.

Additional Questions:
This time - It's your turn to ask me a question (related to my secret theme, of course).
Everyone is entitled to ask one Yes or No based question.
Do not start your question with 'I was wondering', 'Can you tell me' or 'Do you know'.


Please note:
I will be unavailable to post the results for this battle. But never fear!!!
I have scheduled three good friends to stop by and present the results of this battle. They may even reveal the three battle long secret theme.

Additional note:
Starting in December, I will be changing my BOTB posts. In order to get more writing done, I will only be producing one battle a month, the second battle. The first of the month I will be devoting to my R.a.n.t. series and working on YA series.

If you enjoyed this Battle of the Bands feature, don't forget to visit the other participants in the Battle of the Band to see what sort of music they are featuring. You will certainly be entertained, so click on their links below.

STMcC PRESENTS 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'
TOSSING IT OUT
JANIE JUNEBUG RIGHTING AND EDITING
YOUR DAILY DOSE
MIKE'S RAMBLINGS
CURIOUS AS A CATHY
THE DOGLADY'S DEN
CHERDO ON THE FLIPSIDE
ANGELS BARK
THE SOUND OF ONE HAND TYPING
JINGLE JANGLE JUNGLE
DISCCONNECTED


Are you currently in the BOTB and don't see your name in the list above? Let me know in comments and I'll include it.

32 comments:

  1. When I saw the contenders I thought this would be a "no contest" but wow, the choice is harder than I thought it would be. Billie Piper is good! That being said, I am voting for Rod and Tina. Their version is just more fun and lively. But Billie sure gives them a run for the money. She's good.

    Excellent battle Jeffrey.
    I've already guessed on your secret theme but I doubt that I'm right, given that you said it likely couldn't be guessed... Will look forward to the big reveal!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to share your guess.
      I'm glad you like the battle. I felt it was time to move away from the less up-beat songs.
      Also, I'm not saying it CAN'T be guessed, I'm just assuming it won't be guessed. Right or wrong, you will have to let me know your guess.
      Thanks for your Tina & Rod vote.

      Delete
  2. At first, I figured I would vote for Turner and Stewart. Not a pop fan, but Piper's version had personality and a great voice. So she gets my vote.
    My question - do you really expect my brain to function well enough this early in the morning to guess your theme?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeff,

    Voting for Billie today.

    I confess I'm so clueless with your secret theme I can't even pose a good question. However, I look forward to the unveiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clueless or not, I appreciate you stopping over and voting.
      Thanks for your Billie vote.

      Delete
  4. Stumped on the theme. Divorce comes to mind, but I hope that's not happening to you. I've had two and those were probably the worst things in my life.

    I wish Gaye and Weston were in the running here since their version is absolutely the best. Tough choice between the versions you've offered as they each have something interesting about them, but they also have some equally bad aspects.

    The Billie version sounds the most contrived so I'm going with the hard rocking version by Rod and Tina.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm currently single. Been divorced for over 10 years now. So yes, I know how difficult that life situation can be.
      Yep, there is a reason I didn't include the Gaye and Weston version. ;)
      Thanks for your Tina and Rod vote.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I'd say failing relationship as well, although, that seems to be a too easy guess. I'll make that my question...Is it a failed relationship of some sort? As for the challenge, Rod and Tina definitely. As the song says, It takes two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To answer your question, no. Theme is not about failed relationships.
      Exactly, id does take too. I'm surprised Billie didn't find someone else to do the song with her.It would make more sense.
      Thanks for your Tina and Rod vote.

      Delete
  6. I still don't know what you're theme could be, Jeffrey. My guesses were the same as others' and those are wrong. Looking forward to the answer! As for the battle, I'm voting emphatically for Rod and Tina. Their chemistry and their voices blend perfectly for this! Billie is a good singer, but I'm not fond of "girly" voices. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the theme reveal is not a big let-down to everyone. But I had fun putting this together and dropping clues for any potential slushes. I agree with you, they have chemistry. Personally, I like every version of this song. I am into girl pop bands.
      Thanks for the Tina & Rod vote.

      Delete
  7. Hmmm tough battle for me. I liked Billie, but I thought Rod and Tina was a lot more fun. I think I'm going to vote for Rod and Tina.

    I had a guess as to your secret theme. but you kind of threw me off this week. But I'm going to toss it out there anyway. Americans vs Non-Americans. Adding Rod to the mix of Americans - because doesn't he own property in California? I know it's a long shot, and it's probably incorrect.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good guess, but that isn't quite it. I do like your reasoning.
      I'll admit, I've been having fun with this theme and am considering doing it again, but if I do, I'll make it less challenging.
      Thanks for the Tina and Rod vote.

      Delete
  8. I really liked Billie's version. I just didn't care for Tina and Rod's version. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whichever version works best for you is the best decision.
      Thanks for the Billie vote.

      Delete
  9. I had problemns with both of these. With the first one, there were two singers who sounded alike singing the song, meaning I couldn't tell when Tina was singing and when Rod was. The second one, with Billie Piper singing it by herself, just didn't sound right. Rod & Tina sounded a little bit better, although I wish they sang more like themselves so I could tell them apart, so they get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about Billie. That was the one thing I didn't like about her version. Makes no sense to sing a duet song as a solo.
      Thanks for the Tina & Rod vote.

      Delete
  10. Well I didnt like either Rod Steward or Billie Piper but Turner despite sounding a tad muted was the most musically appealing to my mind. So my vote goes to Rod and Tina. As for themes? I must figure out where the Guardian of Forever is based so I can step forward and back in time so I can peek at your themes. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using the Guarding of Forever would be cheating. But, go with what works I say.
      Thanks for the Tina & Rod vote.

      Delete
  11. Jeffrey, Billie Piper's version was too bubblegum pop sounding and there wasn't a male presence in the song which she really needed. Rod and Tina fulfilled the male/female vocal arrangement cementing the deal for me and earning my vote. I also liked their cover better generally speaking the best, too. Please count me in for Rod & Tina! Thanks for stopping by and for the update of your new BoTB involvement beginning next month. I can't believe it's already November! Have a tunetastic week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually one of those people who like the bubblegum pop music. But I completely agree with you about her decision to sing solo.
      Thanks for the Tina & Rod vote.

      Delete
  12. Mmmm..bubblegum! My vote goes for Billie Piper! Sometimes a little pop is good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like bubblegum too. Glad someone else appreciates Billie.
      Thanks for the Billie Vote.

      Delete
  13. JEFFY ~
    When a male and female sing a duet, but you can't tell when the male is singing as opposed to when the female is singing... uh... "HOUSTON, we have a problem!"

    But at the same time, I appreciated the energy and the instrumentation of the Rod & Tina (or was it Tina & Rod?) version.

    Billie sang it like she looks: superficial.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    POSTSCRIPT:
    I was wondering, can you tell me, or do you know, whether or not your secret theme is somehow related to celery stalks and mangoes? If not that, maybe swizzle sticks and kumquats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been saying Tina & Rod. So not a Billie Piper fan huh? Sorry to hear that.
      As per your question. Perhaps the Celery Stalk bit, but that would be a streeeeeeeeeetch.
      Thanks for the Tina & Rod vote.

      Delete
  14. My own opinion is that no one can surpass the first recording by Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell. They gave that song meaning and life.
    Having listened to both versions you offered, I am going to vote for Rod and Tina because they embody the spirit of It Takes Two. So that's my vote. Tina Turner and Rod Stewart.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, in most cases, no one can surpass original recording artists.
      I'm glad you were able to take this battle objectively on it's own.
      Thanks for the Tina & Rod vote.

      Delete
  15. A year I'm in a goofy mood but I'm going with Billie Piper believe it or not. It's bubblegum but it just seemed to appeal to me more. Rod. & Tina sounded too similar for me. My question is ...Is it bout a relationship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not directly about relationships. But a very good guess.
      Like Mike above, I'm often in a bubblegum mood, so I approve your pick.
      Thanks for the Billie vote.

      Delete
  16. Rod and Tina, all the way! I'd totally forgotten about this version. Great choice, Jeffrey! Sorry I'm late, been on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries about being late, not really ate till after the 7th anyway.
      Thanks for the Tina and Rod vote.

      Delete