Thursday, October 8, 2015

Battle of the Bands Results - Romeo & Juliet

This weeks battle featured the Indigo Girls and Edwin McCain singing the Dire Straits song, 'Romeo & Juliet'. A few had never heard the song, a few hated the song, and some loved the song. Despite all that, everyone listened in and cast a vote. So who performed the song best?

In our first round, Edwin McCain took an impressive early lead. Collecting five of the six votes cast.
Edwin McCain - Alex, Kate, Arlee, Robin and Stephanie
Indigo Girls - Yolanda

But Edwin lost the second round. Was he losing his support? He only received 1/3 of the vote.
Edwin McCain - Shady and Cathy
Indigo Girls - Cherdo, Michelle, Dixie & Janie

The answer, no. He was not losing support. The third round went back to him, taking nearly all the votes from Indigo Girls.
Edwin McCain - Debbie, Dolorah, Hillary, Chrys and John
Indigo Girls - Mike

With a hefty lead, McCain fans took a back seat for the fourth and final round. Indigo Girls won this round, but were they able to get enough votes to win?
Edwin McCain - Birgit
Indigo Girls - FAE, Stephen, Guillie and Jeffrey Scott

Final Score - Edwin McCain 13, Indigo Girls 10
The battle was much closer than it seemed like it was going to be. Once Edwin took the lead, he refused to let it go.


Top Comments

CowgirlKate – This one was harder for me than I expected... The original of this song would probably rank up there in my top ten favorite songs... As it stands... I love Edwin McCain's voice, guitar playing and phrasing. But I feel like the phrasing and melody of this song got a little lost on his version. With the Indigo Girls, I felt they started out well. Recognizable melody for the song.... But the singer's voice just seemed rough and a little scream-y as the song progressed. It felt she was trying to turn this love lost, broken hearted ballad into some driving rock song and it just didn't work for me... Since I'm not a huge fan of either version, my choice is based on what I consider ease of listening, in this battle... So Edwin McCain has it for me. I wouldn't switch him off if it came in the radio, but the Indigo Girls, I probably would....

Robin - The Indigo Girls has its appeal. It's that pissed off that it's over feeling that I think we all have experienced at least once. Whereas Edwin McCain is the sad that it's over that we've also experienced. It just kind of depends on where you are.

Cherdo - I gotta go with Indigo Girls on this one. Just had a homey, acoustic vibe that tickled my fancy.

Dixie@dcrelief - Hey Jeffrey! Well, you caught me in an Indigo Girls mood today - yep - all peppered up and nowhere to go. But Edwin sounded so, "we're over this, " I wanted to cry... and you know what I think about crying, right? No? Big girls don't cry (right.) Ha!

Debbie D. - Edwin McCain all the way! Beautiful, heartfelt, melodic. I found the Indigo Girls' version jarring.

John Holton - I'm going to go with Edwin McCain. The Indigo Girls do some beautiful stuff, but this wasn't an example of it.

Stephen T. McCarthy - I know a lot of people really love 'ROMEO AND JULIET' by Dire Straits, but as many times as I've heard it, I've never been able to find the "song" in this song. I mean, could anyone hum or whistle this tune? What IS the tune? I can't find it. To me, this is just some words that meander around. It's like opening Jack Kerouac's book 'On The Road' and randomly singing the words without any thought toward melody, chorus, musical hook, nuttin'... I don't get it. I really DO NOT "get" this song. There must be a tune in this song, somewhere, since so many folks love it, but... it eludes me.


Winners Circle
Congratulations to Edwin McCain
Here's a video featuring one of his more well known songs, "I'll Be".



Thanks to everyone who stopped by and placed a vote.
Come back again for a new battle October 15th.
Who will you vote for?
What song will I choose?
Which artists will battle it out?
Stay tuned.

Don't forget to visit the other participants in the Battle of the Band to see who won their battles.

STMcC PRESENTS 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'
TOSSING IT OUT
JINGLE JANGLE JUNGLE
WOMEN: WE SHALL OVERCOME
YOUR DAILY DOSE
BOOK LOVER
MIKE'S RAMBLINGS
CURIOUS AS A CATHY
THE SOUND OF ONE HAND TYPING
DCRELIEF - BATTLE OF THE BANDS
THE DOGLADY'S DEN
CHERDO ON THE FLIPSIDE
ANGELS BARK
FAR AWAY SERIES
NOVEL BREWS
QUIET LAUGHTER
HOLLI'S HOOTS AND HOLLERS

Are you currently in the BOTB and don't see your name in the list above? Let me know in comments and I'll include it.

24 comments:

  1. Good good battle, Jeffrey! I'm happy to be on the winning team for a change but sorry to see that you and I didn't have matching votes this time. Congratulations to Team Edwin and to you, good buddy, for executing an exciting and close band battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. For awhile I thought Edwin was going to run away with it. Well, he did I guess, but not as much as I thought he was going to. I never tabulate till the final day you realize.

      Delete
  2. McCain just made it. And I actually voted for the winner. Double bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turned out to be pretty close, even though McCain never fell behind.

      Delete
  3. I didn't vote this time around, but having gone back to give the songs a listen... I would've voted for the winner too! Never heard the original, great battle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised how many people never heard the original. But then again this wasn't one of Dire Straits best songs, as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete
  4. That turned out to be pretty close. I call that a good battle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeffrey - 13 to 10... impressive battle. Congratulations. My vote got left standing in the dirt, but that's the way it goes, sometimes.

    SEE you OCT 115th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, I was standing in the dirt with you.

      Delete
  6. Edwin McCain has such an emotive voice and I'm glad he won. At least you had a close battle. That seems to be the ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, close battles are best. Unless it's a singer I love, then I hope Diana Krall errrrr, I mean, then I hope the singer I love wins in a landslide. And that's happened at least once. ;)

      Delete
  7. Because of this competition, I got "Romeo & Juliet" right when it came up on SongPop today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? Visiting the Jeffrey Scott blog helps you in your daily life.
      It's recommended by 4 out of 5 Doctor Who's.

      Delete
  8. Good Battle, JEFFREY. A 3-vote margin is nice and close. Now if only the Indigo Girls had someone come along who hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer this would have been a tie. :o)

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I just now read your comment at FAE's last BOTB post about the line o' lyric also found in the Simon & Garfunkel recording. Man, that's some great attention to detail. I looked into it and posted the answer in FAE's comment section. Good catch, Brother!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    2. Or I could have been persuaded to vote the other way too. That's the thing with these BOTB, you never know how they are going to turn out, even if you think you might.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for posting that information. It's always cool to learn something new about the music we listen to.

      Delete
  9. At first I thought you were saying Edwin McCain lost. Yay! I picked the winner! That was a really close battle though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to come right out and declare the winner. I like a little mystery.

      Delete
  10. I haven't heard either of these versions before. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You asked a question about what to list if you joined by listing hop. ANY list will work (except that with adult content). So yes, a list of favorite writers, tv shows, music or a list of what you do to prepare to write, all of those are great! I have a list of suggestions here: http://bish-randomthoughts.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-listing-hop-question-of-month-win.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bish. I signed up already. Looking forward to the posting.

      Delete
  11. Another loss for me, oh well! Glad you didn't take offense at my view of love. There's a lot to be said of overlooking all that little stuff that can destroy a marriage/relationship. Hubby and I have had our ups and downs, but we've made it thus far. Our secret - remember that first blush - it fades - but you can recapture it if you never allow yourself to forget! :) And yes it takes two - one person in the race - means it's over before it begins!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess the Indigo Girls have their fans. I've just never gotten into their music. This was a close race so I guess you got a fair sampling of those on both sides of the lines of musical taste. Good job.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete