Sunday, January 25, 2015

Your Video Is Overdue

R.a.n.t. of week 01/25/15
How many people remember being terrified by those opening words? We live in a day and age where this phrase is seldom said any more. Before youtube, netflix and other digital streaming were popular, the majority of us went to the local Blockbuster Video (or something similar) and rented films. Do you recall the last time you were in a video rental place? Where you kind, and did you rewind? What was the last movie you remember returning late? The fright wasn't only having to pay late fees, but also being charged for the entire video if it was not returned, or even losing your membership! GASP! That's not much a problem any more, I mean having to return videos. Well, not unless you borrow them from a friend.

There we are! The point of this r.a.n.t. When things borrowed are never returned. For me, it's primarily videos or CD's. I always do this. lend someone a video and forget about it. Then when I'm looking for it, can't find it. By then, I've forgotten who I've lent it to. I have to admit, I've borrowed a set of DVD's from a friend before and forgotten about them. About a year ago I borrowed a humorous set of DVD's and when getting home sat them down on my desk to watch later. About four months later the DVD's were still sitting, waiting to be watched. It bothered me so much, I actually pencilled in a time to watch them so I could return them. Once I finished watching them, they sat another few months because I would always forget to grab them when I went by the friends house. So the next question I have. But I never forgot who I borrowed them from. And I did return them. When I gave them back, I was told, "I forgot about those. I would have wondered where they went if I had wanted to watch them." So, what are your thoughts on having a sign-out sheet for things you lend people?

Recently, I've started cataloguing all my CD's. Because I have so many, it would be easy to lose track of them if I were to ever lend them out. I'm about ready to do this with my videos. At any given time, I've got several things out with various friends. Up to a few months ago in just my Doctor Who collection I had several out with different friends. As most people know, I'm very partial to my Dr. Who collection so losing track of who had what was not a possibility. I'm happy to report, my Doctor Who collection is once again complete. But I have noticed other DVD sets missing. I know I've lent them out, but to who? To be honest, I don't recall. The Office, 30 Rock, Survivor, Doctor Who; just a few of the items I've lent out most often. Some, are still missing and I'd like to get them back at some point. Perhaps I should require people to sign up for a Jeffrey Scott Video membership card. I won't ask you to rewind, and I won't charge late fees. Wow! what a difference!

Enjoy a few nostalgic Blockbuster Video Commercials.



5 comments:

  1. I've always made folks accountable for my books and CD's. Because I would have GIVEN them as gifts if I no longer wanted them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! Thus why I've decided to start an inventory. Then mark down who borrows what and when.

      Delete
  2. cool Blockbusted commercials. Loved seeing the video cassettes! I kinda miss going to the video store. I love the convenience of streaming and Netflix but going to the video store was always a cool thing to do. I hated having to go return the videos but going to check out all the latest releases and picking a bunch of movies to take home was always an enjoyable experience.
    As for getting loaned things back: I don't have to worry about that. I don't loan movies or CDs out...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: just stopping by from your Year in Review post...

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by!
      I understand about missing the video store. It was always an adventure. I would meander around till I found something and I always did. With streaming, it's cool, as you say, but there is not as much jumping out at you. Plus we'd always go out and pick up a pizza on the way home. It was an evening event. I did hate having to return it the next day though. Never as exciting.

      Delete