Sunday, January 18, 2015

Free Gift Inside!

R.a.n.t. of week 01/18/15
Did that get your attention? It usually catches mine. Who wouldn't want a free gift? Well, I suppose it depends on what the gift is. One of the magazines I'm subscribed too, (Weight Watchers), from time to time sends a renewal letter with a "free gift" inside. The 'gift' invariably turns out to be a recipe for some dish I'm unlikely to try. Oh, a few have interested me, don't get me wrong. But it's hardly a gift I start jumping up and down about. Is this a gift I can re-gift to someone else? Perhaps a White Elephant gift?

This time of the year I also get a lot of emails from businesses, (mostly restaurants), with exciting news they are sending me a gift. This time the 'gift' turns out to be something along the lines of a free entrĂ©e or dinner with the purchase of another meal. Can you say coupon? Good, I knew you could. Now, let's not get carried away. When I receive these email and snail mails I'm not expecting to open them up and finding £100 inside, a Tardis keychain or a message from Diana Krall inviting me out for dinner. No, I don't expect that. I expect exactly what I find. So essentially, this r.a.n.t. involves the false promise or false expectation of receiving something I'm going to enjoy.

Still, a gift is a gift and one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Unless you're from Troy. Then you might want to inspect the gift before you bring it into your city. Talk about a free gift inside!!!




Bap Recipe Below!*


Ingredients
Serves: 10
400g (14 oz) bread flour
3 tablespoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dried milk powder
225ml (8 fl oz) warm water (45 C)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
7g (1/4 oz) dried active baking yeast
1 egg white
2 tablespoons water

Method
Prep:1hr20min › Cook:15min › Ready in:1hr35min

Place the bread flour, sugar, salt, milk powder, water, butter, and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Set on Dough cycle; press Start.

Remove risen dough from the machine, punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces, and form into rounds. Place the rounds on lightly greased baking trays. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.

In a small bowl, mix together the egg white and 2 tablespoons water; brush lightly onto the baps. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the baps are golden brown.

*Free recipe stolen from: AllRecepes.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment