Sunday, April 6, 2014

Road Closed

R.a.n.t. of week 04/06/14
No jokes, no puns, no comedy. I really, really, really hate roads being closed. I especially hate it when there are two major roads closed where I live. One of Milwaukee's main streets (27th) has a stretch closed for about a mile, if not more.. Four lanes reduced to two. This makes for much congestion in the morning. And since the road is being torn up, all the asphalt scraped off needs to go somewhere. A MAJOR CROSS STREET! Let's put it there!!! Who are the road wizards that came up with that one? It's so bad, Loomis is starting to look more like a quarry than a street. Honestly, I think I saw the Beeb filming an episode of Doctor Who there yesterday.

So I can't use 27th, I can't use Loomis (the open part of Loomis goes the wrong way) so I must find a new route to work. The next logical choice would be 35th street (Yes, I'm frightened people are starting to figure out exactly where I live, but I'm moving in the future so that won't be a problem). As for 35th, there's good news, and there's bad news. The bad news is my idea is shared by many others looking for an alternate route. This tends to cause a another major back up. The good news is.... well, I lied there is no good news, just more bad news. When you travel 35th street, about a mile North is a bridge which is currently having a construction project of it's own after a train ran into with a double stacked load. Half of the bridge is closed which brings the four lane bridge down to two. For almost a mile South of the bridge, traffic is backed up, pretty much all the way to Loomis.Why is it not 2015 yet? According to Back to the Future, we'll have hover cars. I can't wait.


Photo of a Dalek (Behind the gravel pile).

4 comments:

  1. They say in Illinois that there's two seasons. Pothole season and road construction season. You're close enough to the border for that to ring true in you're neck of the woods too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, we have the same expression in Wisconsin.

      Delete
  2. Ah, the road clotures also are "aided" and 'abetted' by the potholes along the non-closed avenues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think we could devise a better way to make roads by now.

      Delete