Sunday, June 13, 2004

Inconsiderate Drivers

R.a.n.t. of week 06/13/04
As per most mornings, today I was driving to work via the free-way. Considering it's rush hour there are several long lines. Two for individual drivers and one carpool lane. Granted, the lines for the solo drivers are considerably longer than the carpool lines, but isn't that the point? Most drivers are like me, waiting reluctantly, but patiently. But having to wait in line is not my rant for the week. What annoys me are the individuals who shoot up the carpool lane, just because it's shorter. I wait my turn as does everyone else. But these jokers either have never heard of the carpool lane, are ignorant and don't know how to read, or are just plain rude. Obviously these people feel they are more important than the rest of us. They are also closely related to the ones who refuse to allow you to merge when you need to. Try as you might, they speed up, as if getting in front of them will delay their travel time an hour or so. Additionally, they are distant cousins of the ones who zip around everyone on the city streets, just to get in front of you, THEN suddenly stomp on their brakes to make a turn. If it's not that, they zip around, just to make it to the next red light. Especially in the morning is this idiotic. Where are they going in such a rush? TO WORK! I'm never in a hurry to get to work. But I also know saving an additional .2 seconds hardly makes much of a difference.
Reprinted 10/12/12






*PLEASE NOTE - I recently found R.a.n.t. articles posted to an older website I once owned. I've decided to reprint them in my current run, but have decided to edit the articles. For comparisons sake, I've decided to run the unedited versions as well. In a way, it's kind of fun to see how my writing has changed in eight years.


Original R.a.n.t.

So I'm driving to work today by way of the free-way. In order to get on the free-way you have to get in line. There are three lines you have to get into, two for those who are alone in the car, and a third for carpool. A carpool consisting of two or more. The lines for the solo drivers are considerably longer than the line for the carpool. Most of the drivers in the morning are like me, we get in line and wait our turn. At the beginning of each line is a stop light that only allows one person at a time. You think that would upset me? Of course not, I'm considerate and I understand the need for them. What I don't get is how some people think they are allowed to shoot up the carpool lane when no one is in it. I wait my turn, as does everyone else. But these jokers either have never heard of the carpool lane, are ignorant and don't know how to read, or are just plain rude. I fail to see how someone that might use these lanes don't know what the carpool lane is for. It's to encourage people to carpool. So these people feel their time is more important than those of us that abide by the rules. Why does it upset me so? Just because I know they don't care. They are most likely the same people that will refuse to allow you to merge when you need to. Have you ever been in one lane and you want to get in the next lane and instead of slowing down and allowing you to merge they speed up as if you getting in front of them will delay them an hour or so. And what's with people that zip around you on the city street just to get in front of you and then suddenly stomp on their brakes to make a turn. Or the one I love is when they zip around you just to make it to the next red light. Some people are so inconsiderate when they drive. Why? Especially in the morning. Where are they typically going? TO WORK! I'm never in a hurry to get to work. And I know being late an additional .2 seconds will not make matters worse.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I expect the cops to provide these folks their just rewards. (Around here that's 500 bucks and 6 points!)
    The ones that burn my .... are the ones who pass me on the breakdown lane and push me out of the way, because they are more important than I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would make my day to see someone pulled over for just such a thing. I certainly wouldn't feel sorry, they know what they are doing is wrong, they cay the consequence for their impatience.

    Please, just one time let me see that!

    ReplyDelete