Friday, October 21, 2016

Battle of the Bands Results - Tears On My Pillow

I have to be honest, I was VERY happy with the results of this battle. No, it has nothing to do with who won. It has to do with voting turn-out and the fact we had an actual BATTLE! Seriously, more exciting than anything I could watch on TV. What do I mean? Read on....

Our first round could have gone either way. Points were literally awarded back and forth. Gwen, Kylie, Gwn, Kylie Gwen. This means Gwen wins the first round, but just barely. Kylie has NOT given up yet.
Gwen Votes - Debbie, Michele & Arlee
Kylie Votes - Mary & Alex

The second round votes came in pairs, with a final tie breaker to decide the round. Two votes for Kylie, two votes for Gwen and a final deciding vote for Kylie. This means Kylie wins the second round and at the end of ten total votes, they are tied.
Gwen Votes - Stephen & Janie
Kylie Votes - Janet, Robin & mike

Round three begins and end the same as round one. Votes go back and forth. Like the first round, Gwen took charge and scored one final vote to secure her the third round decision. Will this break Kylie's spirit? Or will she hold on, dig in, and show Gwen who's really in charge?
Gwen Votes - Cherdo, Shady Del Knight & Chrys Fey
Kylie Votes - Dixie & Borgot
Once again, Gwen takes the lead by one single vote.

The fourth and final round was a quick one. diedre came to support Gwen, giving her two votes over Kyle but then the next two votes came in from John & Spacer Guy for Kylie. You know what this means? Yes, WE HAVE A TIE!

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!! THE FIGHT IS NOT QUITE DONE YET.
WE HAVE A LAST MINUTE ENTRY.

That's right, suddenly at the zero hour, one final vote from Cathy came in for Kylie!!!
The tie is broken and we can declare a winner!



Winner's Circle
With a final score of 10-9
Congratulations to Kylie Minogue

PS - Have you figured out what the theme is I'm running? You would be so lucky to figure it out. It's CHALLENGING! While you ponder on it, here is a song which may have aired back in the day on TV. For a few hints see below.



Secret Theme: Notes
First Battle - Bring Me To Life
American - Chris Daughtry vs. Welsh Katherine Jenkins

Second Battle - Tears on my Pillow
American Gwen McCrae vs. Australian Kylie Minogue

Clue 1: The theme has nothing to do with song selections.
Clue 2: You will likely need all three battles to work on a guess.
Previous Guesses - Just because I have not declared a winner, does not mean someone may not have guessed correctly. But that doesn't mean someone HAS guessed correctly yet either.
Want additional clues? In your comments below, you may ask one Yes/No question.
I will answer it in my next battle.

How much of a detective are you?
Have you noticed a pattern?
Would I be evil and throw in a few red herrings?
Well, enough with the clues and such, I'm off to watch a bit of TV.



Top Comments
Debbie D. - For this battle I preferred Gwen McCrae's bluesy rendition. Kylie Minogue's voice makes me grimace.

Michele Truhlik - I'm going with Gwen McCrae on this one. I love her version. I didn't like Kylie's voice.

Janet Miles - Hey Jeffrey, I have to go with the Kylie version, McCrae's was just too slow for me.

Stephen T. McCarthy - I didn't really care for the way the version by GWEN started out (I rarely like spoken passages in a song) but, boy, it sure intensified as it went along. Her deep, Bluesy, impassioned interpretation of the song easily beat out the much more superficially Poppish version by Kylie, in my opinion.

Janie Junebug - I vote for Gwen McRae because of the emotion in her voice, although I don't like the spoken part at the beginning. Kylie seems too manufactured.

Cherdo - Basically, I like both of these versions for waaaay different reasons. Pop is not a bad word in my world, so I like Kylie - but Gen is superior when we battle 'em out!

Birgit - Oh I give my vote to Kylie because it is. Throwback to the 50's which I like and I like her voice. Gwen's talking and style just didn't do it for me at all. I'm not into that style

diedre Knight - I rather liked Kylie's Doo-wop style, I love that era. However, in terms of 'singing your heart out' Gwen gets the golden hanky!

John Holton - I prefer Kylie Minogue's version of this. Gwen McCrae's version was a little too hammy for my taste, while Kylie's was closer to the original, which I think is quintessential Little Anthony.



Please note: My next battle will held November 1st.

Once again, thanks to everyone who stopped by and placed a vote.
See you next battle.
Who will you vote for?
What song will I choose?
Which artists will battle it out?
Stay tuned.


Don't forget to visit the other participants in the Battle of the Band to see who won their battles.
STMcC PRESENTS 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'
TOSSING IT OUT
JANIE JUNEBUG RIGHTING AND EDITING
YOUR DAILY DOSE
MIKE'S RAMBLINGS
CURIOUS AS A CATHY
THE DOGLADY'S DEN
CHERDO ON THE FLIPSIDE
ANGELS BARK
THE SOUND OF ONE HAND TYPING
JINGLE JANGLE JUNGLE
DISCCONNECTED


Are you currently in the BOTB and don't see your name in the list above? Let me know in comments and I'll include it.
Save

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like your theme has something to do with depression. I wish Gwen had won (not a Kylie fan, as you may remember), but the people have spoken. Looking forward to your next battle and another clue. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few have thought along those lines. Perhaps we shall see with my next song selection.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jeffrey - I'm pleased Kylie won ... she's been through a lot, yet is inspiring ... but your BOTB challenges are fun ... being completely non-musical I watch from afar! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you stopping over to watch, even if it is from afar.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry, I missed this one. I thought I had time. Oh well... Now I have it on my calendar. Next time around I am in. Glad to see Kylie won, though.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I'll have another battle soon enough. :)

      Delete
  4. How fun to have a tie! That's exciting. And even more exciting is a vote coming in at the final hour. Wow, great battle!
    Have a great weekend,

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, truth be told, if I hadn't had the final vote, I still had my vote to cast and it likely would have gone the same way it did.

      Delete
  5. That was a close one. Cool you had so many voters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I appreciate all my voters. I'm happy to receive so many.

      Delete
  6. JEFFY ~
    I'm EXTREMELY surprised that Kylie beat Gwen. Sheesh! But it was a great Battle.

    I've always wondered how you determine where a "Round" begins and ends. After all the voting is in, do you just divide the total number of votes by 4 to determine where the Rounds start and stop? Or does it have something to do with the number of days that the voting window is open?

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divide by 4? Sometimes, but not really, not always. Though I do take the votes in order, at times I will stop a round where it's most exciting. That's why some middle rounds will have more or less votes than the rounds before.
      But Shhhhh, don't let the secret out of the bag.

      Delete
  7. Now that's a Battle! That's the kind of horse race I like to see on my site.

    Not much to go on with the clues. I see "American" against some other nation in each of the two battles so far. Sounds like where I've been going with my current series. Don't know if that's related to what you're doing though.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch on that. Perhaps you are on to something, but to be honest, there are still clues people have not picked up on. I will pronounce the clues to an Xth degree in my next battle.

      Delete
  8. This was a great battle.

    www.ficklemillennial.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darn that Cathy! My pick could've won. Haha Just kidding. ;) It was a good battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, If Cathy hadn't, I would have broken the tie in favour of Kylie. Glad you enjoyed the battle.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on a very close battle, Jeffrey! Eleventh hour Cathy was the spoiler, but it's all good. I enjoyed both versions.

    See you next time, good buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to stop over and check out the winner. I'm looking forward to my next battle.

      Delete
  11. Close battle!!! Very exciting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get another close battle like this soon. I hate when battles are one-sided.

      Delete