Sunday, February 9, 2014

I, Human

R.a.n.t. of week 02/09/14
Sonny - 'I, Robot' (2004)
As most people know, I love many science fiction films and television series. Inevitably, the same topic resurfaces. The concept of a robot, android or mechanical man who becomes or yearns to become more human. In real life, I seem to run into the opposite. Humans who are becoming more mechanical in nature. I've talked about no sense of humour before, and this is just one aspect of that. Why laugh when it's easier to grimace? Laughing would only show an emotion. Why seek out companionship when it's so much easier to live alone, do everything your own way and shut everyone out? Because sharing, caring and wanting companionship are based on emotions too. How about the people that are completely unaware of their surroundings? Little kids are good at this. Going from point A to point B without taking notice of anything around them. It's scary to think, but there are drivers that do this. Ever try to walk down an aisle of the supermarket but there is a person(s) walking down the aisle with a cart, moving so slow and completely unaware anyone is even around them? These are the same people. Completely oblivious of anyone else around them. But maybe it's not their fault, maybe they've been dealt such a bad hand in life, they've rationalized the best way to move forward is to completely switch off all emotions, all awareness of others and focus on just themselves. Admittedly it's much easier that way, but why? And as it any easier?

Leonard Nemoy - 'I, Robot' (1964)
The Outer Limits
Speaking from experience, I know it's not. When I was a teen I was dealing with a traumatic family problem. I became well known for having switched off my emotions. My good friend at the time used to call me Spock and for good reason. I too decided it would be easier to switch off all emotions. When you switch off emotions you are less likely to be hurt. Feelings like shock, anger, disappointment and sadness can be buried and the emotional pain is neutralized. But that just presents other problems. Eventually, the anaesthesia wears off and the pain returns, sometimes even greater. If that doesn't happen, it's just a steam kettle which keeps building up pressure until finally everything explodes. That's no good. I've had to learn that too. So today, I am not Spock. I wear most of my emotions on my sleeve. When I'm sad, I cry. When I'm happy, I laugh. If I'm dealing with an emotion I don't want to trouble others with? I'll just put on a mask which usually takes the form of a joke. it's why so many of my rant's you can find humour in. Still, emotions can be hard to deal with and sometimes I do look back and wonder if purging all emotions should be the way to go again. But no, better to deal with my emotions. So I'll continue to rant. After all, ranting is one of my favourite emotions.

Adam Link - 'I, Robot' (1964)
The Outer Limits

No comments:

Post a Comment