Sunday, June 7, 2015

Shipping Wars

R.a.n.t. of week 06/07/15
A few months ago I was sitting at home, very bored. Idly flicking through the channels, I found an interesting show. Well, I say interesting. What I mean is, it was the only channel not airing a commercial. This particular show happened to be about the exciting world of items being shipped from point A to point B. It featured a variety of people bidding to win the rights to ship various item(s). If that were not exciting enough, the next part of the show should grab your attention. The person who wins the bid, (hold on to your hats), must prepare the item for shipment. Now comes the drama. Will the item for shipment make it to point B in one piece? You probably think the show ends on a dramatic cliffhanger. "Will the collection of Looney Tunes Memorabilia make it to the buyer in one piece? Will it be on time?" But fear not! No cliffhanger! All is revealed by the end of the show. That's right, no need to have to watch another episode. Phew!

So why am I ranting about this show? Mostly to be funny. It's not like I haven't watched pointless television before. Shows about bidding on storage lockers or what happens inside a pawn shop. But I pick on this show because I have my own shipping dilemma. You see, a few weeks back I ordered a novelty pen as a gift for a friend. The order was placed 20th May. It's current status is "shipped" and the estimated delivery date is 2nd July. Is this really a reasonable amount of time to ship a simple pen? I've ordered things from other countries and had the item delivered to my door a week later. But a pen? I guess not. I can only imagining it's coming from Alaska. The package was placed on a sled dog team and is now making it's way East through Canada. At some point, it will arrive via train to Toronto. From there, it's loaded onto a special go-kart for delivery to Wisconsin. The final delivery instructions suggest the post office to deliver it on pogo-stick.  So yes, I suppose getting the pen I purchased by 2nd July is quite fast. Unless, of course, the delivery date was 2016. To be honest, I never did check the year. Perhaps I shall do that now. Well, I mean after this next episode of Shipping Wars.

Some questions for discussion:
What mindless show do you watch?
What's the oddest piece of memorabilia you own?
Does a month and a half seem like an acceptable amount of time for delivery?



Stay tuned next week for a new feature.
Battle of the Bands!
On the 1st and 15th of every month, I will be showcasing two artists, featuring the same songs.
Who sang or performed it best? You will decide!

14 comments:

  1. They'll make a reality show out of anything now.
    Don't forget the carrier pigeon involved in the delivery of your pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A five ounce bird could not carry my special delivery I don't think. Perhaps if two pigeons carried it together using a standard creeper held under the dorsal guiding feathers. Then maybe.

      Delete
  2. OMG are you serious? That's a TV show?

    I order items on Amazon often. I've come to realize that some items ship from overseas and they don't let you know this until you start to checkout. I always look for the delivery date. On eBay, if I do a search, I always click on "U.S. only" for that very reason. Who has three weeks to wait for an item?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a TV show believe it or not. And if I'm not mistaken, it's in it's fifth series. As for waiting for overseas orders, I don't mind terribly much, but two months seems a bit excessive, especially when it does not say it's being shipped overseas. I checked, saw nothing to indicate it's from overseas.

      Delete
  3. A show about shipping stuff? I can't say that I'd be interested in a show about that. But I bet my brother would be. He likes to watch all of this Storage Wars shows and a whole bunch of others that I can't even think of at the moment.

    I'm embarrassed to admit this...but I have watched Keeping Up with the Kardashians when nothing else is on. *covers face in shame* lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Chrys, we all have our Kardashins to watch. If it's not that, it's Shipping Wars, or Survivor or Sports Centre. And yes, I have watched Storage Wars, so many seasons in fact I know all the participants. YIKES! Maybe if I spent more time writing. LOL

      Delete
  4. Keeping up with the Kardashians gets a 2.8 on IMDB. When I discover a pretty mindless TV show, I switch it off. I think you got taken by the carrier pigeon, lol but if you had a transporter...problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transporters are another novel idea. I love how everyone has their own solution to this shipping problem. LOL

      Delete
  5. Could it be possible that the pen has not yet been manufactured? Maybe they're waiting to receive enough orders before they actually begin making them--like a pre-order.

    Since I used to work in a business that involved a lot of shipping I might be mildly interested in a show about shipping stuff. Then again not getting paid to do it watching people ship stuff probably would get pretty boring.

    I don't watch too much TV, but sometimes the news seems pretty mindless.

    I don't consider any of my memorabilia to be all that odd, but I'm sure others might. Probably some of the stuff I've kept since childhood or stuff related to juggling might seem odd to some people, but actually now that I think about it most of the stuff I have are like office supplies, books, CD's, DVD's, and stuff like that.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Road trippin' with A to Z
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update! Ironically enough, the pen came last night. And sure enough, it was shipped from China. I decided to double check. Nope, no where does it say it's being sent from China. Just that the package goes out in two days. Also the status says, "In stock".

      As for the juggling items. That's your thing and I find it cool, and I'm not even a juggler. But my dad used to juggle all the time and I was always impressed. As for my collections, I think I might win for oddities. I collect cereal boxes. Anything new with a character on it, I'll pick it up. Not just the random Cheerios box. But if the Cheerios box has a character from a movie promotion, then I'll pick it up.

      Delete
  6. Ha Ha! We must assume something is going on there! I'm hoping you didn't spend too much for said shipping! That's an incredibly long time to wait for a pen! I hope that the occasion you bought the pen for is not now over and done with! My pointless show of choice is finished for another season. I am still a semi-loyal Survivor Fan! I love social experiments and Survivor is one of the best. I'm waiting for someone to die, actually, because it's bound to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a thought! Maybe they only make pens upon order. So they actually are having to make the pen before the shipping takes place! It only makes sense!

      Delete
    2. Someone above also mentioned the pens were not made yet, but on order. Well, actually I found out what happened. It was shipped from China. No where did it say it was being shipped from China. Just that it is sent out in two days. So, that mystery is solved. As for the occasion I bought the pen, I have a friend who loves pizza and when I saw this pizza pen, I just had to order it for her. It's a pen shaped like a pizza. Gave it to her last night and she absolutely loves it! She thought it was the coolest thing ever.

      Delete
    3. As for Survivor. There was a brief moment when I was starting to get tired of it, but somehow they revived it. It's all the more interesting now. And I agree, some death seems like it's bound to happen. I mean Michael Skupin almost died the very second season when he fell in the fire.

      Sorry, don't get me started talking about Survivor, I can talk about it till the cows come home. And I don't have cows.

      Delete