Sunday, August 22, 2004

Cinema Talkers

R.a.n.t. of week 08/22/04
Let me preface this with a 100% assurance that I don't really hate you. That said, STOP IT! I really hate you. Well, more to the point, when you talk to me and I'm trying to listen to something. The caption above says cinema talkers, but it can also apply to talking whenever you are trying to hear something. I know this is probably one of the most petty things to rant about, but it's still something that annoys me so I'm going to rant away.

What's even more irritating than the cinema talkers, is trying to think of a valid reason to tell someone, "Hush, you are not as important as what I'm watching on TV", because it's NOT TRUE. So what's the point? If I'm paying 12 quid to see a feature film, you can bet I'm going to give it my full attention. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to talk. But I love to talk in the morning over a cup of java, or in the evening with a pint of beer.

Seriously, I have a hard enough time paying attention when I'm talking to someone without distractions, add in one or two and you may as well be talking to me while I'm sleeping, I may retain just as much information. So if we are watching TV, pause it if you have something profound to say. At the theatre; can it wait till after the show? Don't worry, you can still ask me to pass the popcorn.
Reprinted 11/23/12




*PLEASE NOTE - I recently found old R.a.n.t. articles posted to a website I once owned. I've decided to reprint them in my current run. However, ironically enough, I'm not to fond of the writing so I've decided to edit the articles and repost them. For comparisons sake, I've decided to run the edited version as well as the original. In a way, it's kind of fun to see how my writing has changed in eight years.

Original R.a.n.t.
Movie Talkers
I’m not really sure why, but something that really irritates me is when I’m trying to watch something and the person you are with just wants to talk to you. It doesn’t have to be a movie either; it could be something on TV or in the theatre. I’m trying to pay attention to what is going on and sure enough the person that wants to talk to you does so as something important is being said. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I don’t like the people that do that; it just irritates me when they do that. And how do you kindly tell someone, ‘hush I’m watching something that is more important than you.’ You can’t, because what you are watching is NOT more important, it’s just that you’d like to listen to what is being said. I’m a person that loves to talk, and talk I do once I get going. But when I do talk, I like to do so over coffee, with the TV off, not in the theatre. Otherwise I have a hard time catching what is going on, and if you know me even a little, you know I have a hard enough time paying attention when someone is talking to me without distractions. My opinion? Talk on the way home after the movie or during commercials. If watching a DVD pause it if you need to discuss what is going on, or if the last scene reminded you of your Aunt Gertrude and the time she tripped on a child toy lying on the floor. Trust me, your friends watching with you will appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment