Friday, December 16, 2011

CD Review: Diana Krall - "Steppin Out"

I really only discovered jazz in the late 80's. At the time, it was a new genre for me and I didn't immediately take to it. Oh, I liked it, though initially I was introduced to Spyro Gyra and that was all I had to go on. But my musical tastes were just beginning to mature. I found a local jazz station, listened for a while and loved what I heard. It wasn't long before I was looking for CD's from some of the artists I heard. Diana Krall was one such artist. How could I go wrong? She's beautiful and I loved her music. Though 'Steppin Out' was not my first Krall CD, I imagine I would have fallen in love with her music just as much with this CD as any other. Starting off, the first track is 'This Can't Be Love'. The song is fast paced enough to pull you right in and her piano is excellent. As an additional bonus, the bass is awesome and drums can't be beat. (That was a drumming joke for you).

The second track is 'Straighten Up and Fly Right', a Nat King Cole song. Of course I didn't know that at first, you see my jazz knowledge was, is - still growing. In fact, to be honest, there are probably a lot of songs I'm unfamiliar with. But as I continue to grow in my jazz exposure, I'm sure to identify more and more. But I digress, I apologize.

'I'm Just A Lucky So and So' is another great song if you are into the faster paced songs. But if you are not, you'll appreciate the much slower 'Body and Soul'. A perfect song to sit back in a relaxing chair, drink in hand, and just meditate on the music. '42nd Street' starts off slowly as well, but picks up nicely. Mind you, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with slower songs, I just have to be in the right mood for it. Towards the end of the song, it mellows out once more which leads nicely into 'Do Nothin Till You Hear From Me', another great sassy song Diana performs well.

Other great instrumental songs are 'Big Foot' and 'Jimmie'. As we approach the end of the CD, we are treated to 'Frim Fram Sauce', another great playful song. Anyone familiar with Nat King Cole will surely recognize it. The CD is rounded out at the end with 'As Long As I Live'. A great song, and one that will only leaving you wanting more of Diana Krall. Never fear, she has many CD's to choose from.

Conclusion: If you like jazz, be it vocal or instrumental, this is the CD for you. Maybe not the best of her CD's, but then again who am I to judge? It's Diana's first CD and as such, a very rewarding listen. I highly encourage you to pick this up.


Other CD Notes:
Vocals, Piano: Diana Krall
Bass: John Clayton
Drums: Jeff Hamilton

Recording Dates: October 18, 19 1992

2 comments:

  1. I was just listening to more Diana Krall the other day and deeply enjoying the melodies.

    Also, you are awarded the Tell Me About Yourself blogger award: http://lizaanne42.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/a-little-bit-more-about-well-me/

    ReplyDelete