Sunday, January 5, 2014

Done With American Football

R.a.n.t. of week 01/05/14
"Well, there's always next year." That's what we're suppose to say when our favourite sports team has finished their season, not coming out on top. Right? Currently, that's what I'm saying about my own favourite sports team, the Green Bay Packers. However, contrary to what the title of this rant says, I'm not done watching football games forever. Let's just say I'm done for this season.

There certainly are a few reasons I could be done with American Football. First, it's so shocking to see how much these players get paid. Millions of dollars just to play a few games a year. Of course, there is more involved than just that, but when you know other people work so hard in the daily grind for pennies on their dollar, it's a little discouraging.

With the salaries so high, there is a lot of advertising that needs to be done. Adverts are seen everywhere during the game; clothes, sidelines, equipment, stadium, and of course the commercials. At least in the million and a half commercials run during the game, there are many which are humorous, so that's okay. Probably the best commercials are the ones which makes us laugh so much we forget what they were hawking in the first place. Good for me, any way, maybe not for the product. But what do I know?

One of the other things that gets me disgruntled about watching football are the over enthusiasts. The ones who know every stat and figure from every team. Okay, that's a little unfair, it doesn't offend me so much. Talk to me about Doctor Who and I could probably give you a trivia list on each episode. But it's the ones who are so overly adamant about their football team, they belittle anyone who disagrees with their choice. It goes beyond just rooting for their team, it includes the onslaught of taunts when any team opposite of their own plays a bad game. As I said before, I love watching my Packer games, but as for any other team, I could care less if they win or lose. Unless of course it affects how my team could finish in play-offs.

The 49rs can play a fantastic game or they can go suck an egg. The Steelers too can play well or go suck their thumbs. The Lions & Vikings & Bears (oh my!) can just suck for all I care. At least you won't find me rubbing it in the face of their fans. They have their team, I have mine.

True, I know it's all in good fun and I usually let the Team insulting cartoons and posts roll off my back, yet in a way, it hurts. But for a specific reason. My dad was a big Packer fan. And on the day he died, he watched his final Packer game and mustered a "Go, Go, Go" cheer for them. He barely had strength to talk any more, but he still cheered. So every game I watch, I think of my dad. He may be done watching American Football, but for me, there is always next year to cheer for his team.

No comments:

Post a Comment