Thursday, January 21, 2016

Battle of the Bands Results - Can't Fight This Feeling

What a rough few weeks for music lovers. I find it kind of ironic a week before David Bowie died, I featured one of his songs in another BOTB. As such I didn't do so for this battle. But I did ask an additional question regarding Bowie. The answers I received can be found towards the bottom of this results page.

This week I decided to go with an REO Speedwagon song. Apparently, for most of the voters, you either like the 80's or you don't. The same can be said for reggae music. Which was one of the featured songs. But it was also interesting to note, a few who do like reggae music, still didn't pick the song, though a few did. The contenders were: DaVille, performing a reggae version of the song against Smokie who played as close as possible to the REO Speedwagon version. So what does all this mean? Who won the challenge? Let's find out.

In our first round, DaVille received the first, but it was Smokie who took the remainder of the votes.
First round picks for DaVille - Alex
First round picks for Smokie - Stephen, Arlee, Shady, Stephanie and Spacerguy.

The second round was pretty much the same. One vote for DaVille, five more for Smokie.
Second round picks for DaVille - Debbie.
Second round picks for Smokie - Mary, Dixie, Michele, Cherdo and FAE.

The third round saw more votes for DaVille. Was he making a comeback?
Third round votes for DaVille - Kim, John
Third round votes for Smokie - DMS, Robin, Birgit and Cathy

Even with a sweep in the fourth round, DaVille was not going to win. But for the record.
Fourth round votes for DaVille - Janie
Fourth round votes for Smokie - Mike, Chrys, TMB, Madilyn and myself Jeffrey Scott


Winners Circle
Congratulations to Smokie
As winners, I decided to not play any of their rock' n roll to you.
Instead, here is Smokie performing:
'Don't Play Your Rock 'n' Roll To Me



Top Comments

Alex J. Cavanaugh –The song fits both genres of music well. I actually have to give it to Daville for his smooth voice.

Stephen T. McCarthy - Going with an REOJOURNEYSTYXSPEEDWAGON song this round, eh? My buddies and I used to call all three of those bands by that same name, but the truth is, I still do like me some REO SPEEDWAGON, which is more than I can say about the bands JOURNEYSTYX and STYXJOURNEY.

Mary Burris - I love me some REO Speedwagon! Great song choice. And, yes, I do love the 80's. That was such a fun decade. I think if I could go back and do it all over again... hmm okay, maybe not ALL of the 80's, but I certainly had a good time in that era. I'm going to have to give my vote to Smokie, because I was transported back to the 80's during that song (hell, I even broke out the AquaNet and fluffed up my hair for a few minutes!)

Debbie D. - Although I'm not a huge fan of 80s music per se, it's good to keep an open mind. Please don't ever apologize for your music choices, Jeffrey. They are part of who you are. ☺ Da Ville's version was a bit different and therefore more interesting, so I'm voting for him.

Cherdo - Wow, what a great match up! I've gotta give my vote to Smokie and I feel a music download coming on... REO Speedwagon just stopped by my town in September for the Fair (the worst stage set up ever...but within earshot of the chickens, so not all bad).

DMS - I love 80s music and I agree with you that it makes me think of summer. I prefer the original to the other two- but if I had to pick one I would pick Smokie. It might be that I listened to this song a million times, so it is hard to hear someone else cover it.

Robin - You know that I love 80s music. Unlike my pal StMc, I love Journey, Styx, and REO (ha!). I also really like this song. I think that Smokie held pretty true to the original. I was hoping that DaVille would do something a bit different. Turns out, they did and I didn't like it. Ha. Sometimes the joke is on me! So, give my vote to Smokie.

Birgit - I love the REO Speedwagon version very much. I vote for Smokie because this version has more "oomph". DaVille was nothing but a wet blanket to me-too drippy for my taste.

Kim - Give my vote to DaVille. I love Smokie's raspy voice, but it was nearly identical to the original. I liked the reggae-inspired sound of DaVille's cover, and even though it might not be to everyone's liking, I appreciate that he did something different to the song by incorporating a new sound.

Cathy Kennedy - I like REO Speedwagon! This is a nice classic from the 80s, you have no reason to apologize with me. :) Both contenders are nice picks. I think my ear preferred the sound of Smokie the best. His style reminded me of the original. So, please give my vote to contender #1.

John Holton - I'm going with DaVille here. Smokie's is too much like the REO original.

Janie Junebug - I vote for DaVille. I like the more delicate sound of the voice.


Where were you when you learned David Bowie died?

This was one of the additional questions asked this week. Most people commenting agreed a true legend was lost. And it seems most of us didn't even know he was sick. As a sort of tribute, I've decided to share all the comments I received. I even asked my brother-in-law to share his thoughts. I've always known Tony as Bowie's number one fan. At least I don't know anyone else who would be so saddened by the news. In a way, I can understand. I know how I would feel if my favourite musical artists suddenly died. (And we all know who that is, right)?

Shady Del Knight - I was here online, just logged on and read the news. It was déjà vu all over again - "the day the music died."

Spacerguy - I was at my laptop when I read David Bowie was dead. I just can't believe it! Piers Morgan tweeted yesterday: David Bowie dead from cancer at 69. Now Alan Rickman dead from cancer at 69. Two great talents, one bloody awful disease.

Debbie D. - Where were you when you heard David Bowie died? Right here, at home. I read it on the internet. So shocking and sad! RIP ♥

Mary Burris - Online. I was so taken back. I had just watched Lemmy's memorial service the day before and I was still processing that in my mind when I read the news. There were just too many coincidences in both of their deaths, that I actually thought it was a hoax at first

Michele Truhlik -So sad to lose David Bowie this week. I heard about it online. What a body of work he has/had!

FAE -Where was I when I heard that David Bowie Died - In bed reading a text.

Robin - I saw that David Bowie died when I logged onto Facebook yesterday. I didn't even know he was sick, so I was shocked.

Birgit - I was having breakfast, sitting in front of the TV, Monday morning and heard it on the news. I thought they were joking at first-very sad

Cathy Kennedy - I woke up last Monday with a text alert on my phone announcing Bowie's death. It's always sad to hear of a well known celebrity's passing.

Madilyn Quinn - I did Bowie covers, but yeah I was really bummed to hear the news. Sitting on my couch taking a break from my never-ending job hunt. I had to listen to his greatest hits album for the rest of the day *sigh*

Tony M - Got a text when I opened my phone and then immediately turned on the news and I was shocked and numb all at the same time. My first Bowie album was Space Oddity. He made music I can relate and enjoy. RIP The Thin White Duke, Aladdin Sane, The One the Call the Chameleon, Ziggy Stardust, Major Tom, Lazarus, The Man Who Fell to Earth and the Man who Sold the World, DAVID BOWIE


Once again, thanks to everyone who stopped by and placed a vote.
Come back again for a new battle January 1st
Who will you vote for?
What song will I choose?
Which artists will battle it out?
Stay tuned.


Don't forget to visit the other participants in the Battle of the Band to see who won their battles.

FAR AWAY SERIES
STMcC PRESENTS 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'
TOSSING IT OUT
JANIE JUNEBUG RIGHTING AND EDITING
YOUR DAILY DOSE
MIKE'S RAMBLINGS
CURIOUS AS A CATHY
DCRELIEF - BATTLE OF THE BANDS
THE DOGLADY'S DEN
CHERDO ON THE FLIPSIDE
ANGELS BARK
NOVEL BREWS
QUIET LAUGHTER
HOLLI'S HOOTS AND HOLLERS
BE_REINVINTAGED
THE SOUND OF ONE HAND TYPING
JINGLE JANGLE JUNGLE

Are you currently in the BOTB and don't see your name in the list above? Let me know in comments and I'll include it.

25 comments:

  1. At least the voting stayed consistent throughout. Yeah, too many losses in the music world of late. Hope death takes a break for a while.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out
    &
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consistent is right. Almost one vote vs five for every round.

      Delete
  2. Okay, Smokie won - so I picked a winner! Yippee! Have a great weekend, Jeffrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the losing end, again! Oh well, we'll see what the next one is like. I'm still in shock about David Bowie and also Alan Rickman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jeffrey!

    I'm happy to know that Team Smokie prevailed and your ears matched mine this time, good buddy. I enjoyed the bonus video which allows us to see the guys as well as hear them.

    Thanks, Jeffrey. Have a great weekend and I'll see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing we actually matched this time.
      Perhaps Charles Nelson was looking over us this vote. ;)

      Delete
  5. I think increasingly these days, the answer about where we were when something happened will be, "Sitting around on my smartphone, checking Facebook!" Sad, but true. And I can't believe there are people who don't like the 80s. What's not to like?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Stephanie, I just don't know.
      And yes, the majority of the people learning the news were texting or surfing the web. My how times have changed from the 80's.

      Delete
  6. I knew Smokie would win this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I after I read the first few votes.
      Did you know you always seem to double comment?
      I wonder if that's some kind of glitch.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad Smokie won. I like how you do your Results posts, btw...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I appreciate the comment. I try to make even the results page something interesting to read.

      Delete
  8. I'm starting to feel old... all these things I grew up with are going away. *sigh* But yeah, well.. not even close battle, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to really put a lot of time into this next battle. I want a closer battle.

      Delete
  9. Jeffrey, yay! My picks wins!!! I think the 80s produced a lot of good hits. This was a fun battle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jeffrey - so many legends have gone recently ... I heard on the news .. where Bowie stayed for the rest of the day and the week, even when others passed on. Sad, but he went the way he intended ... and I was interested to read and see more about him. Difficult to lose talent like that so young ...

    Regretfully mostly BOTB goes over my head! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know what genre you like most, I'll try my best to include it at some point.

      Delete
  11. No matter who won, this was a great battle and I'm glad I got to be introduced to a new talent. Thanks, Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the battle. I love knowing I've introduced someone to something new.

      Delete