Sunday, June 6, 2004

First R.a.n.t. - Getting Started

R.a.n.t. of week 06/06/04
Okay, let's get started because I need to rant about something and I don't care if you agree with me or not. Yea, I sound like a grump and a grouch, but that's the point. Sometimes I need to rant about what's bugging me. I recently realized I'm prone to talking to myself in the car when something is bugging me. This is true especially when people do not let you merge, (a rant for consideration). So I've decided to start a weekly rant page, voicing (or typing), that which bothers me most. But as I start, I wonder if it's another project that'll fall by the wayside. I have this bad habit of having a great idea, but never doing anything about it. Take my stories for example, PLEASE! No seriously, I have never attempted to get published. Same for my poems. Why? Why do I have a hard time getting something started? Obviously, the most intimidating aspect of any project is getting the ball rolling. Unless of course you decide to be a good bowler, then the most intimidating aspect is admitting you want to own your own bowling ball and carrying bag. I decided to do this Rant page a couple weeks ago, but this is the first time I'm doing it. Why? Most often I feel like George McFly, "What if they don't like it, what if they say you're no good? I'm just not sure I can take that kind of rejection." Well, I've started this, time to see if anyone thinks my writing is no good. Feel free to let me know what you think. I believe I can take that kind of rejection.
Reprinted 10/11/12






*PLEASE NOTE - I recently found old R.a.n.t. articles posted to a website I once owned. I've decided to reprint them in my current run. However, ironically enough, I'm not to fond of the writing so I've decided to edit the articles and repost them. For comparisons sake, I've decided to run the edited version as well as the original. In a way, it's kind of fun to see how my writing has changed in eight years.

Original R.a.n.t.
Okay, let's just get right into it. First of all let me say that I'm not sure if this will be a continual thing. I'll probaly only keep it around with enough participation. If no one wants to share their thoughts and comments, then why should I keep posting this? Yea, I sound like a grump and a grouch here, but that's the point. Sometimes I just need to rant about what is bugging me. I find myself talking to myself in the car, usually when something is really bugging me. Especially when people do not let yo merge into their lane, (that's a rant for possibly next consideration.) So the long and the short of this rant is how much I hate having a great idea, but take so long to get the idea up and moving. Take my stories for example, (please) haha. No seriously, I have never even attempted to have them published. Same goes for my poems. Why? Why do I have a hard time getting started in something? I think the biggest reason is what I'm ranting about, getting started. The most intimidating aspect of anything is getting the ball rolling. I decided I wanted to do this Rant page a couple weeks ago, but this is the first time I'm getting it up. One thing I do find interesting after getting started, is watching what you started change over time. I designed my Legion website for a yahoo group that I had started. I had trouble finding a decent group where I could role-play my favorite Legion hero so I started one. In the process of four years, I've noticed it grow and expand; so much so that I ended up having no time for the game because I was spending an hour or more on the site every day GM'ing threads. But I'm proud that I started that. Why can't I think more about that when I want to get started on something else? Simply because a lot of times I feel like George McFly, "What if they don't like it, what if they say you're no good? I'm just not sure I can take that kind of rejection." Well, I've started this out now, let's see where it takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment